This authentic Mexican shrimp cocktail is loaded with crunchy cucumber, celery, Spanish onions, creamy avocados, cilantro, shrimp, and lots of zesty flavors. This authentic Mexican shrimp cocktail is an entrée rather than an appetizer with a dipping sauce as served in the States.
This cocktail is widely known as the number one ‘hangover elixir. This dish is really easy to make, just boiled the shrimp, toss with ketchup mixture, add the avocado, and serve. So easy right? And if you you so curios, follow this recipe.
- 1/3cup cup Spanish onion, chopped
- 2roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped
- 1cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 1stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1alapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2teaspoons salt
- 2tablespoons hot pepper sauce
- 2easpoons ground black pepper
- 1bunch fresh cilantro – stems discarded and leaves chopped
- 1/2/2 cups chilled tomato and clam juice cocktail
- 1cup chilled ketchup
- 2avocados – peeled, pitted, and chopped
1. If you are working with raw shrimp, peel, devein, and cook raw shrimp, If you have a little extra time and want your shrimp to be extra good, put the shells in 6 cups of cool salted water, boiled, then strain the shell stock into a separate pot and cook the shrimp in that liquid for 2-3 minutes, until just cooked through. Reserve a cup of the cooking water and chill it. If you have pre-cooked, peeled and deveined shrimp you can skip to the next step.
2. For more attractive presentation, cut half of the shrimp into large chunks, leaving the other half whole.
3. Toss with other ingredients: Combine onion with lime juice in a small bowl and allow to stand for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, toss shrimp, cucumber, Roma tomatoes, , celery, jalapeno, salt, and black pepper in a bowl until thoroughly combined.
4. In a separate bowl, stir in tomato and clam juice cocktail, cilantro, ketchup and hot pepper sauce, stir dressing into shrimp mixture. Gently fold in avocados. Cover, let stand and chill thoroughly, at least 1 hour.
5. Serve in parfait glasses or in small bowls with tortilla chips on the side
Print this recipe from: Food Sweety