Pumpkin Stuffed With Everything Good, this pumpkin is filled with the savory goodness of bacon, sausage, cheese, and bread, it makes a hearty main course or side dish. And the best part of this dish is you can add everything you love for stuffing, sound fantastic right? Here we go!
- 1 Pie Pumpkin, or other small squash, around 3lbs, well washed
- 3 strips Bacon, thick cut, chopped into small pieces
- 1 pound uncooked Italian sausage or bulk sausage, any casings removed
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 to 3 heaping cups spinach or Swiss chard, coarsely chopped
- ½ Red Pepper, wash and chopped
- 1 clove Garlic
- Any other (cooked) Veggies you feel like adding (onion, mushrooms, and anything dark green is particularly nice)
- About 1/4 cup snipped fresh chives or sliced scallions
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 2 spoons parsley
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup day-old Bread, cut into crouton-sized pieces
- 1 cup Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons- ⅓ cup of Milk or Cream
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut a cap out of the top of the pumpkin like you would if you were carving a Jack-o-lantern and scoop the strings and discard seeds, don’t pitch its lid, dry off the insides and lightly using a clean dish cloth or paper towel then season the inside of the pumpkin generously with salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, Add the sausage and cook, stirring occasionally and breaking it into crumbles with a wooden spoon, until it is golden-brown and cooked through, about 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sausage to the bowl with the bread and cheeses
- In the same skillet, render your Bacon until it’s delicious. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- sauté minced garlic in the Bacon fat (or Olive Oil), add red pepper with any other vegetables or meat that you’re adding, just until they stop releasing tons of water.
- Mix the Greens mixture with the pieces of Bread, Bacon, sausage, Herbs, Nutmeg, and Cheese. Add the milk or cream, give good stir until combine well, Season to taste, obviously.
- Cram the stuffing to the pumpkin, filling it all the way to the top Fit the “lid” back onto the pumpkin . We use the word “Cram” intentionally. Really pack that shit in tight, it’s going to settle considerably as it bakes. transfer to the oven. Bake until the filling is bubbling and hot, and the flesh of the pumpkin can be pierced with a knife. , about 2 hours, if possible, remove the cap for the last 30 to 45 minutes of baking
- Carefully transfer the pumpkin to a serving platter. Slice the pumpkin and serve.